About La Leche League
Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
La Leche League Leaders
Accredited by La Leche League International, volunteer Leaders are experienced breastfeeding parents who are familiar with research and current findings dealing with all aspects of nursing. La Leche League Leaders offer practical information and support to parents through telephone help, monthly meetings, and lending libraries of books on childbirth, breastfeeding, and related parenting topics.
La Leche League Philosophy
The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Breast milk is the superior infant food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
- The ideals and principles of mothering which are the foundation of LLLI beliefs are further developed in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, the most comprehensive handbook on breastfeeding and parenting ever published. It has provided needed answers to three generations of nursing mothers on every aspect of breastfeeding.
(From LLLI publication No. 300-17, “La Leche League Purpose and Philosophy.”)
La Leche League of Mountain Plains is an Area of La Leche League International (LLLI) that serves mothers, parents, babies, Leaders, and Leader Applicants in Colorado, Wyoming, and Western KS.